In our clinic we prioritize the sterilization of dental equipment and we take great care to protect our patients and our medical staff from possible infections or transmissible diseases. We are proud to apply every day the most rigorous sterilization standards in the industry.
Which are the stages of our sterilization process?
- Preliminary stage – We carefully wash the medical instruments using detergent solution and we place it in the ultrasonic bath, immersed in a special disinfectant solution. We disinfect separately the instruments that have been in contact with blood. As the final step of this stage, we rinse and dry the medical instruments.
- Sterilization stage – We pack the medical instruments in tightly sealed bags that have sterilization indicators on them, which change color when the sterilization temperature reaches the optimum threshold. We place the small items in metal boxes, which also have sterilization indicators on them. We mark on the indicators and on the sealed bags the date and time of the sterilization. We also note down in our sterilization registry the type of sterilization we did, the parameters, the time and the sterilization indicator.
What sterilization equipment do we use?
- Our clinic uses the Tuttnauer Elara 11 sterilizer.
- The sterilizing equipment is also known as an autoclave and is in fact a fully automated, hermetically sealed enclosure that sterilizes the instruments using pressurized vapors at temperatures high enough to remove any pathogen agents.
- The operating temperature of the autoclave reaches 134 degrees Celsius and the vapor pressure goes up to 328 KPa. The duration of a complete sterilization cycle is 50 minutes.
- After each sterilization cycle, the autoclave prints a report that can highlight any errors that might have affected the sterilization process.
- The autoclave is periodically inspected and monitored by certified institutions.
What other precautions do we take to maintain hygiene and prevent transmissible diseases?
- We only use disposable supplies (syringes, needles, vacuum cleaners, bibs, sterile fields, etc.).
- We ensure that our staff gets regular medical examinations.
- We provide differentiated treatments for patients suffering from transmissible diseases.
- We use broad spectrum disinfectants that meet all European standards (Candida Albicans bactericides, sporicides, fungicides, active virulents on HIV, hepatitis B / C, herpes virus, Mycobacterium tuberculosis etc.) and we respect the recommended exposure times for all disinfectants.
- Our team disinfects their hands with special disinfectant solutions.
- We incinerate infectious waste at a hospital with which we have a contract.
- Our dental office is fitted with a smooth and non-absorbent floor, which is easy to clean and disinfect.